On Wednesday 16 September 2009 18:23:32 Robert Quattlebaum wrote:
> mobile clients a way to silence incoming presence ("presence hush"),
> and give them a way to rebuild the presence state of their roster
> quickly and efficiently when presence it is actually needed. The first
> part is easy if your server supports privacy lists, but there is no
> easy way to rebuild the presence state when you are actually
> interested in it. (about the only way is to send out a presence probe
> to everyone on your roster. Horrible.)

I always figured that as soon as you change the privacy lists to unblock
presence, then the server should immediately deliver the latest presence of
the unblocked jids.  But maybe privacy lists aren't meant to be that smart.

I personally don't think brainless on/off stanza filtering is all that useful.
For the filtering use-cases people actually want, such as
invisible/visible/away-to/etc lists, and various optimized deliveries over
mobile, we need the server to be smarter.

-Justin