I think that we should be very careful with retro-editing.

Any edits should be plainly visible as edits.   There will be a lot of business
carried out in this medium.  And much of it will be carried out by people who
not only don't pay attention to settings, but may not even know there are
settings in their client -- or that all clients do not behave the same.

So having someone able to edit the RECORD of the chat, not only on their
machine, but on the machines of others.   And to allow them to edit text that
has scrolled off screen (say on a phone), would allow them to change the RECORD
of a conversation without the person knowing about it.

Hence either
1)  don't allow retro editing   OR
2)  mark edits so it is clear what was said, and that it was subsequently
edited.   OR
3)  when a block is edited -- it is auto-copied to the bottom and
re-transmitted. (This takes no action by the standard -- and can be done today
in any client).

Court reporters use special secure technologies and do not use IM.    Remote
captioning services would use RTT  - and would also have to clearly mark edits
for a number of reasons.

We don't want to have something we do cause this IM to be viewed as less safe
for business than others.

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center