I agree with Gregg for the most part.
That said, it's still a concern of standards interoperability even when
limiting retroactive editing to just only the last message (or two).  That's
a concern right now, even if I say, I permanently give up the possibility of
using a private extension to allow retroactive editing beyond the last
message.  (Which I would rather not -- just to keep the door open for 'niche
usage')

Yes, the standards have a method of highlighting edits.  There are many
methods of edit highlighting, and those are virtually all a UI
implementation issue.

Also, my spouse is a court reporter.  You'd be surprised at the low quality
of some of the software available (I've seen with my own eyes) & that XMPP
would be a big improvement, especially if combined with some of the
security-improving XMPP standards.

Thanks!
Mark Rejhon