> On 4/14/11 3:30 PM, Philipp Hancke wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I *think* that this discussion thread leads to the following text in
>>> Section 3, but please double-check it.
>>>
>>> ###
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> 10. Server1 considers EXTERNAL to be its preferred SASL mechanism. For
>>> server-to-server authentication the<auth/>  element MUST NOT include an
>>> authorization identity (thus Server1 includes an empty response of "="
>>> as shown in RFC 6120).
>>>
>>> <auth xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'
>>> mechanism='EXTERNAL'>=</auth>
>>>
>>> Interoperability Note: Previous versions of this specification relied on
>>> the authorization identity being present on the receiving server. Even
>>> though this is no longer required, the connecting server should include
>>> it for backward compability.
>>
>> MUST NOT include but should include for backward compability?
>> Include it always and blame it on me (even though I don't have the old
>> logs from 2006).
>>
>> I am not sure if backward compability really matters, the last time I
>> checked I offered EXTERNAL to three servers... jabber.org,
>> dave.cridland.net and some host running prosody.
>
> Right. Let's get some feedback Dave Cridland and Matthew Wild, at the
> least. I'm not sure that we have any implementations with which to be
> backward compatible. :)

Please see the latest version, reflecting what I think is the consensus
from list discussions:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0178-1.1.html

http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0178/diff/1.0/vs/1.1rc4

The XMPP Council will be considering this tomorrow, feel free to join
the meeting at 15:00 in xmpp:coun...@muc.xmpp.org

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre