I am not sure if backward compability really matters, the last time I
checked I offered EXTERNAL to three servers... jabber.org,
dave.cridland.net and some host running prosody.

Right. Let's get some feedback Dave Cridland and Matthew Wild, at the
least. I'm not sure that we have any implementations with which to be
backward compatible. :)

Please see the latest version, reflecting what I think is the consensus
from list discussions:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0178-1.1.html

http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0178/diff/1.0/vs/1.1rc4

Not related to the diff, but I just spotted this:
S2S step 9: no match -> close => MAY close or may allow dialback?

S2S step 10: I think MUST NOT is too strong. After all, XMPP is deployed using the EXTERNAL mechanism (see the xmppwg charter :-), so
we can not change the rules that way.
MAY include (for interop reasons) with a note that a future version may remove this (actually I think that EXTERNAL will be deprecated in favor
of d-w-d before that happens)? That way we have a clear migration path.

Note #7 is obsolete, that spec is 0238 - which is deprecated so it does not make sense to add a reference.