On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:
>>> 1. Child elements as in 0.9:
>>>
>>> <stream:features>
>>>  <dialback xmlns='urn:xmpp:features:dialback'>
>>>    <errors/>
>>>  </dialback>
>>> </stream:features>
>>
>> I'm not opposed to this, I think. It has the advantage of not breaking
>> the existing implementations.
>
> The concern is, what happens when someone adds new sub-features in the
> future?

Hopefully we wouldn't spec new features without versioning and start
seeing interoperable implementations prior to realising in the future
:)

>>> 3. More features:
>>>
>>> <stream:features>
>>>  <dialback-errors xmlns='urn:xmpp:features:dialback:errors'/>
>>> </stream:features>
>>
>> This one breaks existing dialback error implementations, but not
>> general dialback implementations. This one doesn't seem particularly
>> harmful, compared to (2), and I'll go along with the majority if it's
>> what's deemed sensible.
>
> #3 is more consistent with what we do in service discovery. IMHO that's
> a good thing.

Yes, #3 is what we have previously agreed is the Right Thing to do
with features. In this case we didn't, and implementations sprouted up
and were deployed before we noticed, so it's a question now of whether
the pragmatic thing is to use what we have, or to break
implementations and maintain spec-hygiene.

/K