To date, I had the opportunity to implement my prototype standard (upcoming
resubmission) in two different programming languages -- C# and Java.   I
learned that different XML libraries handles namespace versioning very
differently.  With one XML library, I was able to monitor all namespaces
that matched a specific wildcard, which is useful for translating that to
the end user warning that a software upgrade is needed.    But for a
different XML library, my software was 100% blissfully ignorant of all
namespaces that did not have an exact match.  So it was not possible (or
easy) to translate that to a warning to the user to upgrade the software.

This is more especially important during the "beta" stage (i.e. year 2011,
or part of 2012), while the specification is during a draft stage.
 Nontheless, if necessary I can still use other techniques of software
version negotiation, if necessary (there's already XMPP specification for
that, from what I recall).

(I am also in collaboration with a emergency 911 center that is considering
implementing my spec, so I am under some pressure, too.)