On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Kurt Zeilenga <kurt.zeile...@isode.com>wrote:

> I should note that we'll kill this one way or the other, even if there's no
> negotiation.  I just rather kill it by disrupting the negotiation.
>
> I just think it's really bad form to have non-negoiated extensions.

It's not a 100% non-negotiated extension. Negotiation is simply optional,
and not documented in the specification. Accept is done by continuing RTT by
replying to event='start' with an event='start'. Reject be done by rejecting
an attempted event='start' with an event='stop' from the other end.

I also must point out that at least one 911 systems integrator is already
testing XMPP RTT, as a long-term replacement for deaf TDD/TTY, as a
companion to RFC4103 / T.140 which is also considered for this use too as
well.  Thus, servers are encouraged to stick to server policy (i.e.
bandwidth rate-limiting algorithms) rather than blocking the extension.