On Tue Jul 19 08:09:42 2011, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 03:23:26PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> FYI, I've created version 0.0.2 of this ProtoXEP:
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/compliance2012.html

I would prefer the 'Core' term to be left for the XMPP Core. XMPP is not
IM only, and 'Core server' seems a good name for an entity witch
implements only RFC 6120 (which is already 'XMPP Core') and RFC 6122
(required by 6120) – that is good enough for some non-IM communication
purposes. This does not need to be defined in a XEP.

I thought it was 'basic client' and 'basic server' in the XEP-242,243,
but now I see it was already 'core'. Though, I think it still can be
changed in the new XEPs.

We switched to Core/Advanced some time back, when I was on Council. I pushed for the change, and asked Will (Sheward) to come up with new names.

The problem is that - and I admit this hasn't really happened - these compliance XEPs are worthless unless they're used by implementers, consultants, and consumers to indicate high-level functionality, and nobody wanted to describe their server, for instance, as "Basic" in their marketing literature. (And by "marketing literature", I include open-source project websites, for the avoidance of doubt).

"Core" is a much more palatable term to use, and "Advanced" is obviously just fine.

However, neither term has really caught on, and the XSF is not using it internally, even. If we choose to publish this document, I think we should consider adding implementer compliance statements to the software lists, to promote their use. I'd be happy to work on a specification to allow that, as well as (with my Isode hat on) provide such a statement.

My plan would be that implementers would host an XML description of their compliance levels, which the XSF's software listings would consume and render into the software list. This would mean that most changes (latest version, Core/Advanced, XEPs) would be implementer-driven.

If there is interest, I'll sketch this out in more detail.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/