On 8/8/11 2:42 PM, Alexander Holler wrote:

>>> Right. Having 'by' set here would make a lot of sense.
>
> Hmm, I must have missed that 'by', but it reminds me on a point I would
> like to get addressed by XEP-0203 (Delayed Delivery).
>
> There it's written for 'from':
>
> The Jabber ID of the entity that originally sent the XML stanza or that
> delayed the delivery of the stanza (e.g., the address of a multi-user
> chat room).
>
> Which leads to the problem that e.g. for a stanza forwarded through MUC
> nobody knows what from in the the delay element describes. It might be
> the the delaying entity or the original sender.

There's a known bug in XEP-0045 about the 'from' attribute of the delay
element:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2011-April/024344.html

I've just now fixed that in my working copy of XEP-0045.

> My suggestion for an update of XEP-0203 would be
>
> 1. Allow more than one delay element
> 2. Add a required attribute (delayed-)'by' to the <delay/>
> 3. Let the 'from' only have the meaning to express the original sender
> and make it optional (only recommended/required if from in the stanza is
> different, means 'from' got changed by the one which added the <delay/>)

Changing the semantics of the 'from' attribute seems problematic. But
I'm not thinking about XEP-0203 right now anyway because I'm working to
finish my edits to XEP-0045...

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre