On Mon Aug 15 22:57:59 2011, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> 1) I don't think the new elements need to have a 1:1 mapping with status > codes, and the way in which the registrar considerations is phrased
> implies this to be the case. I think we want a new registry, which
> includes "related status codes".

I think we want to define new status condition elements for each of the
old status codes, but that we want to leave open the possibility of
defining new status conditions as well (which would be represented only
via XML elements, not code numbers).

I think we want to have at least one status condition for any given status code, but I don't think we need or want a 1:1 mapping.

> 2) We also need to consider that many clients only handle one status
> code.

Which one do they handle?

I mean they will only process one in a set. Sometimes they ignore all but the first. Sometimes they ignore all but the last.

> This means that even if there are multiple defined conditions, all
> the status codes possible may not be present. In some XEP, somewhere, a
> discussion on which status code to pick when there are multiple
> applicable would be useful.

Right. Similar to XEP-0086.

I think more "If you want to say <room-created/><self-presence/>, then you only want to mention status code 201", as a specific example required for interop.

> 3) I'd like application-specific elements to be possible within the
> defined conditions as well. This is to encourage implementors to
> specialize, rather than replace, conditions.

Section 2 states in part:

    ... the <conditions/> element MAY contain one or more condition
    elements defined in this document (each of which MAY contain a
    human-readable <text/> element and MAY contain an application-
    specific condition element)

So that's already covered.

Oh, right, yes. I entirely missed both this and the structure above it which makes this clear. Damn it, it's not in the examples!

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/