On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Alexander Holler <hol...@ahsoftware.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 23.09.2011 23:19, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:

>>> I think I was not clear :)
>>>
>>> I have an active room named sa...@conference.onnouscachetout.com
>>> I regret the choice of the term "conference"
>>
>> I regret the choice of "conference.jabber.org" many years ago, too, but
>> it's the best that Peter Millard and I could come up with at the time.
>>
>>> and I want to change it to
>>> a shorter one as "muc"
>>> I want to have my room on sa...@muc.onnouscachetout.com, but I want to
>>> keep the old one working ! I don't want to disturb my guests !
>>>
>>> So, I really want an alias of @conference.onnouscachetout.com to
>>> @muc.onnouscachetout.com
>>>
>>> And it's look like the XEP-0045 don't support this fonctionnality yet :)
>>
>> In general we don't have JID aliasing. However, this is probably
>> something that your MUC implementation could do for you -- I don't think
>> it's a spec issue but a deployment issue.
>
> How should a server handle that? What should be used as 'from' for messages
> without confusing clients?
>
> If such should work servers and clients have to changed to be able to handle
> JID-aliases. And that isn't something which is done with changing a few
> lines and isn't (imho) worth the time needed.

MUC aliasing is actually one of the very few cases in XMPP where
aliasing could work without protocol extensions. The server would know
which alias each client has joined and can route messages from that
JID. I don't know any server implementation that does this, but if one
did it wouldn't require client changes or deviation from XEP-0045.

/K