Would XEP-202 (http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0202.html) satisfy your needs?

-----Original Message-----
From: standards-boun...@xmpp.org [mailto:standards-boun...@xmpp.org] On Behalf
Of Jonny Lamb
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 11:36 AM
To: standards@xmpp.org
Subject: [Standards] Timezone element in XEP-0080: User Location

Good afternoon.

It would be cool if we could display the local user time of remote contacts
like how Skype does[0]. The most logical place to me to put this information
feels like PEP like with the other location stuff.

I've attached a patch which simply adds a timezone element to XEP-0080:
User Location. Have I missed something here? Is there somewhere more
appropriate for this information?

(Yes, you could work out the timezone from the location, but not only is that
annoying because then you'd need to do some kind of coordinate → timezone
translation) but I also get the feeling people would be happier to disclose
their timezone, and less keen to disclose their location coordinates (even when
fuzzed).

What do you think?

Cheers,

0. http://blogs.gnome.org/wjjt/2012/05/11/maps-and-clocks-and-contact-locations/