On 5/21/12 7:22 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 21 May 2012 09:08, Philipp Hancke <fi...@goodadvice.pages.de> wrote:
>> The argument of keeping the negotiation of stream features in one place
>> mentioned in my mail about 0198 applies to this, too.
>> (the root cause of both problems is the inability of dialback to renegotiate
>> stream features after authenti... err... whatever, but i don't
>> see any way how we could change that.
>>

> Yes, Prosody had this issue come up with both compression and 198
> recently.

What are the costs and benefits of doing compression before dialback?

> I have to say it's pushing me over to the
> we-need-to-deprecate-dialback camp... solving it in our code for each
> individual case is possible, but hacky at best.

Designing something to replace dialback seems like "fun". Getting
everyone to implement and deploy it seems even more fun.

> Even if we keep the same authenti...thingy around, at least we should
> have something more integrated into our normal feature negotiation.
> like SASL is.

We had discussions long ago about defining a SASL mechanism for
dialback. That would slot in rather nicely, no?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/