On 7/19/12 2:09 PM, Mark Rejhon wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Kevin Smith <ke...@kismith.co.uk
> <mailto:ke...@kismith.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Mark Rejhon <marky...@gmail.com
>     <mailto:marky...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >> If I was to implement 301 and 308, but not RTT correction (the
>     >> intersection), another client would send me RTT corrections - a
>     >> significant number of stanzas that I'll then ignore. I won't fail in
>     >> any interesting way (although the UX will be quite odd), but we
>     >> generally try to design protocols that don't send unsolicited stanzas
>     >> that the recipient will be unable to process (or will misinterpret).
>     >
>     > That's not true...
>     > It's 100% backwards compatible!
>
>     I didn't claim it wasn't backwards compatible! "I won't fail in any
>     interesting way"
>
>     > Backwards compatible behavior (End User Viewpoint)
>     > The retroactive real-time edit will temporarily appear as if it
>     was a brand
>     > new message.   Basically, the real-time message will be a *copy*
>     of the old
>     > message, while the retroactive edit is taking place.   When the
>     edit is
>     > finished, the real-time message disappears and the edit shows up
>     above in
>     > the last message.
>
>     Right, it's a bit of a goofy user experience.
>
>     > Thus, adding new disco is
>     > overkill (shooting a fly with a shotgun) when the developer
>     already has the
>     > full flexibility of choosing these two perfectly reasonable choices,
>     > correct?  As a result, I'm somewhat stumped why you think disco is
>     necessary
>     > for this situation.
>
>     I'm similarly baffled why you think of disco as a shotgun - this is
>     the usual XMPP way of doing things - it's so cheap as to almost be
>     free for a developer - who will need to already have written the code
>     for handling disco/caps to be able to implement the spec already, and
>     so this becomes a one-line-of-code check.
>

> Only if it's a good, comprehensive, well-documented XMPP library.
>
> I've also been working with some really crappy XMPP implementations.

We don't design around crappy implementations. Service Discovery is just
about as core as you can get in XMPP without being in the RFCs, it's
been around since 2003, all self-respecting libraries support it, etc.

> Please consider the charity angle too -- Some deaf organizations can't
> hire good developers; and may have to stick with crappy XMPP
> implementations, that doesn't make it a one-line-of-code check for disco
> stuff.

Why do organizations for the hearing-impaired need to write their own
libraries in order to write their own clients? Just use one of the
existing open-source libraries. That's what libraries are for, after all.

Sounds good!

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre