Thanks Peter.  I noticed the same thing with the XSD.  That is why I looked at
the other elements.  The subscription and subscriptions elements are very
similar in nature and serve as a good comparison.  They are in both namespaces
to accommodate  being used in an event so I figured it would make sense for
affiliation to follow suite.

I actually have an additional finding for the same section 8.9.4.  In the
example, the affiliation element (in the pubsub namespace) includes a Jid
attribute.  However, the schema for pubsub does not include the Jid attribute
for the affiliation element.  However, the affiliation element in the
pubsub#owner namespace does include the jid attribute.

I apologize that I didn't realize there was a separate pubsub list.  I will see
if I can jump on to it.