> On 8/22/12 2:13 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)
>> <jhild...@cisco.com> wrote:

>>> What about URLs that are not in <a/> elements?
>
>> I remember us changing the XEP years ago to explicitly call this
>> out. Links should be linkified at the sender end, not by the
>> recipient, for XHTML-IM.
>
> Yes, business rule #10 in XEP-0071 says:
>
> "When rendering XHTML-IM content, a user agent SHOULD NOT render as a
> hyperlink text that is not structured via the <a/> element from the
> Hypertext Module; therefore if the sender wishes text to be linked,
> the sending user agent MUST represent the text using the <a/> element
> and appropriate attributes."
>
> However, that applies only to anchors. Do we need to broaden the rule
> to cover all HTML elements? If so, I suggest:
>
> "When rendering XHTML-IM content, a receiving user agent MUST NOT
> render as XHTML any text that was not structured by the sending user
> agent using XHTML elements and attributes; if the sender wishes text
> to be structured (e.g., for certain words to be emphasized or for URIs
> to be linked), the sending user agent MUST represent the text using
> the appropriate XHTML elements and attributes."

Another bigger problem is smilies. It's not obvious when the client
should render smilies and when not. I'd prefer to forbid any text-based
smilies in the XHTML-IM content but such way we really need a
standardized way to attach images to a body.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,

Sent from my Gentoo GNU/Linux PC.