On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
> Ah, OK, so the server's key is also its own trust anchor.
>
> The problem I worry about here is that it means that a server compromise
> event will lead to a situation where the server's keypair can be used to
> subvert existing accounts. This is a bit of a nightmare scenario in many
> deployments.

Isn't it what could happen with CA authorities too? At least until the
compromised keys are replaces with new ones, the compromised key can
be used for malicious purposes.

> You could work around this by separating the functions - so the server
> trusts a third party, which itself signs the keys of registering clients.

Well, my aim is: client always has one single credential, with which
it can login to any of the servers within the network. Using passwords
or some hard-stored credential would require data replication;
checking key signatures will save space and resources. I know there
are consequences to this (continues below).

> However, once you worked in ways to handle client key compromise, and all
> the rest, I don't see what this is buying you that running a private X.509
> CA for the service would not. And doing the latter would mean using
> off-the-shelf components (including an unmodified server and often
> unmodified clients, too). Personally, I'm lazy enough to see the idea of
> avoiding having to write new code to be a great idea.

Clients will be using their OpenPGP keys to sign messages for one
another, I thought it could be useful to use the same keys to
authenticate too - thus avoiding having two different keypairs (one
for authentication, one for encryption/signing).

> I don't see how you'd handle key rollover either.

I wonder how do they do in X.509: I mean if a key is compromised,
*all* certificates signed with that key must be discarded almost
immediately - and replaced with a new one. Couldn't I do the same?

> I'm not saying you're doing everything entirely wrong, just that X.509 has
> these problems well-understood and (usually) solved. The primary advantage
> of using something like OpenPGP keys would be to buy into an existing
> infrastructure without use of public CAs, but you can do the latter whilst
> still using PKIX, and you don't seem to be trying to do the former.

My implementations and ideas I'm exposing here are just a start; I'm
still starting to dive into all these (for me) new concepts as I try
to build this instant messaging system. I know I still have a lot to
learn, I'm here also for that :-)

> FWIW, the unsolved problem using PKIX is that you need the client to supply
> a CSR during registration, and obtain a signed certificate back, possibly
> later. I'd be very keen to see this defined, and would be interested in
> helping.

In which way this is a problem? Because of the delay between key+CSR
generation and its signing by the CA?

--
Daniele