On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
> There are signing/encryption proposals based around X.509, too. In the XMPP
> world, I'm tempted to suggest hammering

Hammering? What do you mean?

> In the PKIX model, the key used for signing belongs to a CA, which can be
> protected better against compromise than a key used for signing and
> encryption (and authentication), such as a client or server key, so
> revocation of entire CA certificates is rare, and typically makes headline
> news.

That's the issue: it always come to relying to a (possibly) commercial
third party to do the job. It contrasts with the concept of
"community-driven" server network. In my mind, every server in the
network has its own CA, otherwise it won't be "community-driven".
Anyway, I don't think a third party CA would sign certificate requests
"blindly" (that is, given by a server when it's registering a new
account for a new user).

> Well, if you want to have the certificate provision based around an in-band,
> or client-driven, registration protocol, then I think you need a method for
> having the certificate (or PGP key) signed. It seems reasonable to want to
> standardize this.

Sure, that would be great.

--
Daniele