I've been thinking I'd like to resurrect the Hop Check proposal
(because after further reflection I think it would be useful, even if
not perfect):

for debugging/support? +1

[...]
Before I post an updated version, does anyone have requests for data
they'd like to see included in the data format?

A bidi flag (for s2s) and the raw certificate data for both dialback and external auth. Probably also whether an SRV record was resolved or the A fallback is used.

And keep in mind that most s2s connections still aren't bidi, see the list archives from 2007 for some discussion ;-)