Thanks for the feedback,

I will change 'read' to 'displayed' in the next version.

The stamp is if you read/acknowledge the message while you are offline
(assuming you store the messages locally), if it isn't set the time is now.

There is no reason while in addition to this XEP that XEP-0184 couldn't be
extended to also have 'displayed'?

The thinking behind chat markers is that people don't deal with individual
messages, but with chats. It also has the benefit of if retrieve 100 new
messages the next time I log in, I only want to mark up to the last message
that I read not send a receipt for every one.

Regards

Spencer