On 7/1/13 10:24 AM, Daniele Ricci wrote:
> Greetings, I was reading RFC 3923 [1],

Yeah, we're not proud of that spec.

> and it always talks about S/MIME encrypted message format.

IETF dogma at the time required that.

As in http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0027.html perhaps?

> - or better, let the RFC handle both cases?

That can introduce more complexity.

> If I understand correctly, draft-miller-xmpp-e2e-* are replaced by
> RFC 3923.

I think you mean: draft-miller-xmpp-e2e replaces RFC 3923.

> Is there some draft to follow/improve where e2e+PGP/MIME is
> defined?

XEP-0027.

> By the way: encryption/signing in XMPP is very confusing: there are
> at least a dozen documents (RFCs and XEPs) defining it - of course
> I should follow approved XEPs and RFCs, but I'm also looking
> around: maybe some XEPs are already widely implemented or they will
> be approved soon.

I admire your optimism. :-)

The technologies that seem most interesting now are:

(1) Matt's work on draft-miller-xmpp-e2e
(2) OTR (potentially with future enhancements to make it more
XMPP-friendly)

Some energy is going into both of those (Paul Wouters and I plan to
sync up at the IETF meeting at the end of July to work on an
Internet-Draft providing informational documentation about OTR). Since
you seem to care about this issue, your feedback would be welcome.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/