On Dec 10, 2013, at 3:06 PM, Christian Schudt <christian.sch...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this mailing list.
>
> I have been trying to implement BOSH in Java (client side) on basis of draft
> 1.10.
>
> I think the document is quite understandable.
>
> However, I ran into the following issues:
> - I did not understand the HTTP pipelining stuff, which is now removed :)

Pipelining isn't something that can be applied to BOSH, so we all opted to
remove any discussion on it.

> - The 'rid' and 'ack' attribute are marked as "positiveInteger" in the XSD.
> However, in Java, you need type "long" to represent the largest number
> (2^53-1). I think this should be changed to "unsignedLong". (integer is only
> 32-bit in XSD).

In XSD, positiveInteger is unbounded at the maximum (bounded to 1 at the
minimum).  You're thinking of unsignedInt.

> - "The client MUST generate a large, random, positive integer for the initial
> 'rid'": What is large? Is there a minimum? And should be "positive long".

Exactly what constitutes a large random value is left for clients to figure
out.  I don't know that we could reach consensus on what a suitable minimum is.

> - The from attribute. I think it should be: "it MUST forward the identity to
> the client by including a 'from' attribute in a response" (instead of MAY),
> because the core spec says:
> "For response stream headers in both client-to-server and server-to-server
> communication, the receiving entity MUST include the 'from' attribute"
> (http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-attr-from)
> … just to be conform.

That seems like a reasonable request to me, but we might need more feedback
from implementers before changing that MAY to a MUST (or even just a SHOULD).
For a real BOSH connection manager, it ought to be known immediately; for a
BOSH-as-proxy, though ... maybe the horribly implemented ones need the MAY.

> - The sentence "The client SHOULD NOT open more than two HTTP connections to
> the connection manager at the same time" confused me, because the document
> also said the number is defined by the "requests" attribute. But this
> sentence is now gone in 1.11.

(I think this revised section is my fault)

That section did not feel like a normative section to me (more like an extended
intro), and so I tried make it more of a play-by-play of what a BOSH session
conceptually looks like.  That meant (to me) removing RFC 2119-style normative
language.

> In the 1.11 version I don't really understand the diagram under point 4. Too
> many "empty" bodies.
> - What is the left side and the right side?
> - From "X" to "*" is one HTTP request? Then why is there a long time no
> request (but many pipes |)?

This is addition is my fault (again), I'll try to clarify (-:

The two sides are separate sockets between the client and server, for a single
BOSH session.  This was an attempt to illustrate how BOSH utilizes "one
sometimes two" sockets for all BOSH traffic.

"X" indicates when an HTTP request is transmitted from the client to the
server. "*" indicates when the corresponding HTTP response is transmitted from
the server to the client.  "| |" indicate the time a server leaves a request
pending (at most "wait" seconds). "|" indicates an idle (but still open) socket
connection between the client and server.

I can see about converting the above into a legend suitable to patch into the
document, but I don't know when I can do that yet.

Hope this helps.

- m&m

Matthew A. Miller
< http://goo.gl/LK55L >