On 10/8/14, 9:59 PM, dricha...@coversant.com wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Standards [mailto:standards-boun...@xmpp.org] On Behalf Of Florian
Zeitz
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 8:00 PM
To: standards@xmpp.org
Subject: Re: [Standards] draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket-10

On 08.10.2014 20:42, dricha...@coversant.com wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Standards [mailto:standards-boun...@xmpp.org] On Behalf Of
Peter Saint-Andre - &yet
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 12:15 PM
To: standards@xmpp.org

On 10/8/14, 11:04 AM, dricha...@coversant.com wrote:
Section 3.2 of draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket-xx specifies that data
frames must be of type text and contain UTF-8 encoded data.  Was
there some reason for this since it makes XMPP stream compression not
usable?

Hi Dave,

I think we'd recommend doing compression at the HTTP layer, just as
for WebSocket we're doing security at the HTTP layer.

Also, the spec has been approved for publication and is in the RFC
Editor
queue
so it's too late to change it:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket/

And x...@ietf.org is the right list for IETF specs. :-)

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

Argh. No I don't take it back - all it is is a framework for creating
compression extensions.  It doesn't actually define any specific
mechanisms.

I don't know what you found, but the latest approach for WebSocket
compression within the hybi WG appears to be
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-permessage-compression>. It
provides a general framework for compression, and registers one specific
extension using DEFLATE.

The plan for XMPP over WS was indeed always to use such an extension for
compression, if required. As no finished draft exists/existed it seems
sensible
that no reference to this was included. I generally think this is a
concern of the
WebSocket implementation, and not the XMPP mapping.

Regards,
Florian Zeitz

Thanks for that.  I assumed based on Peter's comment that it was going to be
a websocket extension thing so I'll take any further comments over there.  I
did see that doc but then I looked at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/websocket/websocket.xhtml which is
apparently not up to date.

IANA probably won't update that until the Internet-Draft is approved. We do the same thing at the XMPP Registrar. :-)

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/