* Kevin Smith <kevin.sm...@isode.com> [2015-01-22 12:59]:
> > I don't care too much about actually receiving the message twice (I
> > would still query the entire archive since the last time I have been
> > online) I just want to be able deduplicate messages in my own local
> > history.
> That bit’s straightforward - you’ll never get duplicates from MAM
> (unless you were sent duplicates, naturally) if you don’t ask for
> them. Just request the MAM history since the latest UID you got last
> time you synced: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0313.html#query-paging

How would you deduplicate a mix of messages received normally and MAM
messages? Are you supposed to delete all normal messages when syncing up
with MAM?

I would also _love_ an XEP for your server adding unique IDs to all
messages sent to you and received from you. I'd even go one step further
and request the server to "ack" messages sent to it with a combination
of packet id + unique id, so we can add the unique id to our local data
set. That would partially duplicate XEP-0198 acks, but there is a real
benefit in unique IDs.

Maybe we can even leverage that (somehow) to allow tracking the
reflection of messages we send to a MUC.

Georg