On 9 April 2015 at 08:27, Kevin Smith <kevin.sm...@isode.com> wrote:

> 1) I’m not sure that adding data-* to XEP-0071 would aid interoperability,
> as the use of the data-* needs to be understood by both ends (e.g. in your
> case it isn’t enough for xep71 to just say ‘you can use data-*’, because a
> third-party client receiving your data-* markup wouldn’t understand what to
> do with it).

Agreed.

> 2) As you’re controlling the clients at both end, I can’t immediately see
> any problem with just shipping data-* attributes inside the generated
> XHTML, although -71 says not to. The importance of following the specs is
> to ensure you can interop fully; if you’re controlling the clients at both
> ends and need special logic to do so you can add non-standardised markup
> reasonably safely.

Adding a (private) disco feature and checking for it in caps would be
better. Then, by all means, add custom attributes and markup.

Not doing discovery/negotiation would mean a potential clash with clients
you don't control; it also allows you to have multiple versions of your own
clients deployed safely.

As a rule of thumb, everything that XMPP does to allow interop between
entirely different codebases also allows stability with multiple versions
in a closed environment - you're not *really* controlling the clients
totally at each end except in vanishingly rare, and very small-scale, cases.