Florian, my concerns with your approach are twofold:

1. It is complicated and is not markup in the sense that is used by XML,
HTML, SSML, etc. Being abstracted means a complicated association step.

2. It does not accurately correlate. Imagine this example:

<message…>
  <mark>
    <mention jid='j...@example.com'>
      <by-string string='Joe Bloggs'/>
    </mention>
    <mention jid='j...@example.com'>
      <by-string string='Joe Bloggs'/>
    </mention>
  </mark>
</message>

This obviously doesn't work, and is very much more complicated than simply
permitting data-* attributes in the XEP-0071 security model (after updating
to XHTML5, of course).