Comments inline

== John (Jock) Williams ==

From: Standards [mailto:standards-boun...@xmpp.org] On Behalf Of Dave Cridland
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 1:01 PM
To: XMPP Standards
Subject: [Standards] XEP-0198 minor enhancement

What if, on a resumption failure, a server could include the 'h' attribute, to
mean "I can't actually resume your state, but I did get all the stanzas up
until H".

I think this allows servers to hold onto this small amount of state for
considerably longer than it's desirable to keep a disconnected session live,
and it also makes a halfway house between ack-only and full resumption possible
for other servers.

Thoughts?

Jock>  Dave, could you provide some clarification on the use cases, and what
the expectations should be if the server supports this new feature and a client
choses to take advantage of it.

and start a new session (with today’s xep-0198). With this addition are you
giving the client the opportunity to retry the resume this time using the
server supplied ‘h’? Doing so means the client is resuming knowing there are
dropped stanzas.

Jock> Dropped stanzas imply missed messages, and missed state changes (eg:
contacts & presence, chatroom rosters, pubsub nodes updates).

Jock> Are you thinking of tolerating any consequences of these state errors in
exchange for a faster re-connect (and less buffering overhead in the server)?
Are expecting the client to make efforts to validate it’s state? Would you
anticipate smarter servers that can orchestrate protocol soon after the resume,
such that the clients state becomes current. Is this aimed at specialized xmpp
applications?

Also, do you think we could add this attribute without a version bump?

Dave.