On 7 June 2015 at 21:39, Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu> wrote:
> On 07.06.2015 20:42, Georg Lukas wrote:
>> 3) Create a MID generation scheme that can be independently followed by
>> client and server, i.e. full-jid + stream-id + packet-id.
>
> I'd don't think we'll need the full-jid. The properties of the stream-id
> are sufficient to generate a unique, collision free MID by concatenating
> it with the stanza-id.
>
> We may not be able to use the stream-id though, because of the RFC
> requirement that it has to be kept secret. Thus requiring us to
> introduce a new public-stream-id which has the same properties as the
> stream-id, but without the 'secret' requirement.
>
>> This scheme is
>> very similar to #2, but the client has less options to game it, and I
>> don't see significant benefits over #2.
>
> "Less options to game it" is not a significant benefit? Also not
> requiring UUIDs as stanza-id is also a big plus: A dump client can still
> generate stanza-ids using a simple counter and still participate.
>

>> I think these options need to be weighted and one of them chosen before
>> we can proceed with the MID XEP.
>
> I'm all for 3. It solves the "how can a client know the MAM archive ID
> in advance" problem in an elegant and efficient way.

I like it too, and I hope Dave can throw together the proposal he's
been promising for it :)

I feel it still has some shortcomings though:

  - It only works for server-local archives (as remote entities won't
know your stream id)

  - It removes the ability for the server to use its own ids for
messages, which may be more efficient

  - If it's based on stanza ids, we have to verify uniqueness somehow
(and gracefully fail on non-uniqueness)

  - If it's based on counters then uniqueness is not a problem, but
XEP-0198 implementation experience has demonstrated that simple
counters apparently aren't so simple after all

  - It removes the need for reflection of all sent messages, but there
is potentially benefit in that practice (people generally like it in
MUC)

Regards,
Matthew