On 25.06.2015 17:09, Thijs Alkemade wrote:
>> On 25 jun. 2015, at 10:27, Kevin Smith <kevin.sm...@isode.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thinking a bit about the MUC2 stuff. MUC1 had Anon/semianon/nonanon. We’ve
>> pretty much killed off fully anonymous rooms in MUC1.
>>
>> Can people share their thoughts on usecases for semi-anon, please? It’s not
>> entirely clear to me what these are (users who want anonymity seem to
>> already be using throw-away JIDs to achieve that, instead of relying on MUC
>> configuration).
>
> 1. Privacy.
> 2. To not turn public MUCs into treasure troves for spam bots. All of these
> JIDs have an active client signed in, so they are great targets.

To hide your contact data should never and can't be the answer against
SPAM. I stopped obfuscating my Mail address a few years ago. It's
available in a few dozen places over the net. Yet I don't have an issue
with SPAM. That same should be true for my JID.

> 3. Best practices currently dictate that resources should be random, as they
> are privacy-sensitive. That’s almost opposite of revealing it to everyone in
> a room.

Ack. MUC2 (or similar protocols) should be designed to only show the
bare JID of the participants.

- Florian