Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the references; I had indeed missed discussion.  I also noted that
the Last Call seems to have been closed.

> I think you gave yourself the answer in the latter part of your mail
> mentioning that with a dedicated port one can start using EXI right-away.
> Is this approach not working for you?

This means that the constrained elements could only communicate through their
"home server", for which a port was hard-configured, right?  They could not
perform SRV lookups for another domain and communicate with that.  This might
be a reasonable assumption, but it is good to be aware of such limitations.

>> As for the EXI cookie, is it an idea to use a processing instruction
>> and/or XML declaration that would be sent to the server?
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong but I think this has nothing to do with
> processing instructions. The EXI Cookie is an optional part of the EXI
> stream. In fact it is nothing more than a 4 byte "magic cookie" that serves
> to identify whether a stream is XML or EXI.

Yes, you are right.  I was not aware that $EXI was part of the EXI
specification, and assumed it was invented by the XEP.

Cheers,
 -Rick