On 2015-10-06 15:23, Christian Schudt wrote:
>> Please discuss. I think the outcome of that discussion probably affects what
>> should go into the suites.
>
> I never really understood the purpose of these "suites", nor did I feel the
> XSF is pushing them (last one is Deferred).
>
> Nonetheless, here are my thoughts (assuming it should be some kind of
> recommendation or list of "important features"):
>
> I don't like the idea to include Experimental specs in an "Implementation
> Recommendation / Best Practices / Suite" document. On the one hand you (XSF)
> recommend to implement/deploy it, on the other "Experimental" only encourages
> exploratory implementations.
>
> The suggested list also feels a bit arbitrary:
> I think File Transfer capabilities, vCard or Delayed Delivery are more
> important features, than delivery receipts or CSI. (That's also why the XMPP
> community has already specified and implemented them many years ago)

If you look at what people are looking for in the Slacks, HipChats and
WhatsApps these days, I believe that CSI is crucial for mobile use for
its positive effects on battery consumption. Delivery receipts are the
blue checkmarks everyone loves (haha), and MAM and Carbons are there for
chat history and communications sync requirements.

> The same for PubSub, which is missing, although it seems to become more and
> more important.

PubSub is not a thing by itself. It comes in by way of Personal
Eventing, but I would prefer to (also) list actual XEPs using PEP for
whatever features that are deemed needed for these suites.

> But I think the only really important XEPs, that should be on the list, are
> XEP-0045 and XEP-0198.
> The rest more or less feels like "nice-to-have" features (e.g. Carbons, Chat
> States, CSI, ..).
> They could as well be "Idle Time", "Roster Item Exchange" or "Message
> Correction", depending on personal opinions/preferences.

I agree that the latter three examples are nice to have, but I don't
agree that Carbons, Chat States or CSI are nice to haves at this point
in time.

--
ralphm