> Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 at 7:09 PM
> From: "Sam Whited" <s...@samwhited.com>
> To: "XMPP Standards" <standards@xmpp.org>
> Subject: Re: [Standards] Deprecating Privacy Lists
>
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Genghis Khan <genghisk...@gmx.ca> wrote:
> > My fear is that at some point in time, we might lose some features.
>
> I don't see this as a problem. Fewer features (assuming these aren't
> popular features that lots of people use, which I don't think they
> are) just means that things will be simpler to implement and less
> confusing to use.

I think you are correct; I, too, assume that not many use this feature.
If XMPP was used by hundred of millions, I believe that server
administrators would have demanded from XMPP client developers to provide
some sort of automation of presence-control (not presence-management) by
utilizing XEP-0016, be it automatically by client or by client or server
prompting users to make some order in their rosters with privacy list
sets of rules.

Maybe, if our assumption is correct, XEP-0016 is not used by end-users
(end-users are any user but a company employee) because it is not yet
needed, yet it is still relevant and need not yet to be deprecated.

I will also add this, Psi seems to handle privacy lists elegantly per
end-user, but Gajim has an extremely ugly way, per end-user, to manage
privacy lists.  I know there are more XMPP clients than these two, but
perhaps it is the UI design that deters end-users to enjoy this feature.

P.S. I have read this thread twice, I understand that it is not only the
     UI to blame.  Maybe if more users would have used it, we would have
     updated XEP-0016 to something more sensible, by now.

I do not know.  When I do not know, I prefer not to take risks.