> On 11 mei 2016, at 00:09, Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 10 May 2016 at 20:28, Thijs Alkemade <m...@thijsalkema.de> wrote:
>>
>>> On 28 apr. 2016, at 08:35, XMPP Extensions Editor <edi...@xmpp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>>
>>> Title: XMPP Compliance Suites 2016
>
>> I don't really understand the point of CSI being required for Advanced
>> Client.
>> Do non-mobile clients have to implement it and never send <inactive/>? Or do
>> servers have to disable all optimizations because enabling CSI is no longer
>> an
>> implicit "I'm a mobile client with my screen off"?
>
> I don't think there's anything that makes CSI mobile-only. If I had a
> laptop on battery and tethered, I would care about the resource
> consumption of my desktop client as much as I'd care about a mobile
> client. I would expect it to send <inactive/> when all its windows are
> hidden (e.g. minimized) or if my computer screen is locked, etc.
>
> Regards,
> Matthew

Lets look at the suggested optimizations from the XEP:

> Suppress presence updates until the client becomes active again. On becoming
> active, push the latest presence from each contact.

This only makes sense if the client has no way to show when someone was last
online and if it doesn't notify of users signing on (even when the screen is
off there might be a sound notification).

In a MUC, you'll miss someone joining and immediately parting. If you are a
moderator that can be a security issue because you won't know their real JID:
someone could join with an offensive nick and as long as they part quickly
enough they can't be banned.

> Discard messages containing only Chat State Notifications (XEP-0085) [2]
> payloads.

I don't see how this is a good idea either unless you don't implement Chat
State Notifications in the receiving client: if I get a <composing
xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates'/> but not the following
<inactive xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates'/> someone might show
up as "Typing..." for hours. Do I have to reset all chat states when
deactivating CSI?

> Defer or discard unimportant PEP notifications, possibly unsubscribe from
> certain PEP nodes until the client becomes active again.

I'm not familiar enough with PEP to really understand the implications of
this, but this too sounds like something the server should interfere with
without the client knowing exactly what's happening.

I think the XEP would be valuable for every client if it only alled the server
to delay stanzas for a short while and bundling them, but that's not the case.

Regards,
Thijs