On 06.07.2016 20:42, Ivan Vučica wrote:
> If I am interpreting XEP-0313 correctly, for person-to-person use case,
> archive is obtained by inquiring the 'current server'. This is usually fine.
>
> However, in case of an external transport component communicating with
> an IM network that can provide its own history, there does not seem to
> be a viable standardized way to inquire the external component about the
> additional history.

Does that component need to act as MAM archive? I would expect messages
exchanged between a user and a transport component to be stored in the
users MAM archive. Just like messages between the user and a remote
server are stored in the MAM archive.

> [^1]: Most of this mail makes the assumption that component's timestamp
> is the same as server's component, and that the sort order is based
> solely on the timestamp.

BTW: If I where to implement MAM service I think I would ignore any
timestamps and just store the message stanzas in the order they are put
in the archive. Because that order is important. Relying on timestamp
causes all sort of trouble that you likely can't solve in a federated
system like XMPP (without a central authority).

- Florian