Its not written down somewhere that its up to the client, but it makes no sense to put a selflimiting hard rule on a archiving XEP like MAM and exclude certain messages per XEP rule.

We have store hints, the most prominent servers respect these. And it would make no sense to not respect it if a client explicitly wishes for a message to be stored. So to make it more clear, if i want to save a message on a current prosody or ejabbered MAM implemenation, i can do this as a client with a store hint.

you dont have to querry the whole archive, you just querry until you get a read marker, then you know everything that comes before that was already read so i dont have to query it.