On 2 December 2016 at 18:18, forenjunkie <forenjun...@chello.at> wrote:

> Ah now im understanding, basically the server should give you a list of
> contacts to query for messages.
>
> i would see this as a simply addition to MAM.

Would you see it as a new parameter to MAM query? or rather a completely
new kind of iq to MAM service?

> The Archive already could know what messages you read, because of
> chatmarkers. it would only need to hold the last read marker stanza id for
> every contact in roster, and perform some SQL magic on query.

I can think of a situation where there is no roster (on XMPP server) but
still there is archive and we want to get list of contacts with unread
messages.

I like Kevin's idea with the iq and list of unread messages in a result.
Also I think it would be beneficial for clients to have not only id of the
unread message but also the content.
This could be optional, of course, but in some cases getting the unread
message content would make UI update easier.
The client doesn't have to query the archive if it only wants to display
part of the unread message content on the UI.