> On 2 Dec 2016, at 18:22, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:
>
>> On 12/2/16 8:48 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:

>>> As far as I know, technically an XML ID value needs to be unique in
>>> the whole document, and for the XMPP case the document is the XMPP
>>> stream/session. Using UUIDs would avoid having to go over and reassign
>>> IDs when attaching one message to another, etc.
>>
>> Oh, you meant a literal ‘id’. That’s easily avoidable just by using a
>> different attribute :)
>
> IMHO this is exactly why 'id' was invented. :-)

Indeed. I'm slightly concerned with stream uniqueness guarantees that that
implies, though. What if you forward a message to someone else, or happen to
request a stanza from your archive twice or whatever?

I think we're probably already breaking that with various other cases and
stanza ids though, so if we're happy doing it there do we need to worry about
it here? (And if no, does mandating uuid make sense?)

Not a hill for me to die on here.

/K