On 29 January 2017 at 04:26, XMPP Extensions Editor <edi...@xmpp.org> wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0368 (SRV
> records for XMPP over TLS).
>
> Abstract: This specification defines a procedure to look up
> xmpps-client/xmpps-server SRV records (for TLS connections) in addition to
> xmpp-client/xmpp-server and mix weights/priorities.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2017-02-11.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send your
> feedback to the standards@xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or to
> clarify an existing protocol?
Ehhh... I haven't personally ever had the requirement for it, and I
think <starttls> is cleaner.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and
> requirements?
Yes.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why not?
I guess? it's quite simple to add support, so might as well...

No.

The stuff in 'requirements' are not requirements but implementation instructions

> When ALPN is used protocol MUST be 'xmpp-client' where 'xmpps-client' is the
> SRV 'service'.
> When ALPN is used protocol MUST be 'xmpp-server' where 'xmpps-server' is the
> SRV 'service'.

The phrase "is the SRV 'service'" seems confusing to me.

> TLS provides AT LEAST the same level of security as STARTTLS, and more
> privacy without ALPN as using STARTTLS leaks that the underlying protocol is
> XMPP, while any TLS stream should be indistinguishable from any other TLS
> stream. TLS provides more security than STARTTLS if RFC 7590 [4]

This sentence is confusing and potentially misleading.

> Your feedback is appreciated!

I think it should be noted how devices are expected to connect.
e.g. should they do a SRV request for xmpps-client, and if that
doesn't exist: try xmpp-client; and if that doesn't exist: use an AAAA
record. if that doesn't exist, use an A record?
==> can/should these dns requests be done in parallel? (perhaps see
RFC 6555 Happy Eyeballs)
It should cover desired behaviour if there is a xmpps-* record but no
xmpp-* record