* Sam Whited <s...@samwhited.com> [2017-02-06 10:15]:
> > Ah right, another unfortunate design decision.
>
> Not at all; the nonzas are semantically correct here because it
> doesn't make sense to have the CSI enable/disable "commands" be
> routable.

I principally agree with your point, and I'm not explicitly blaming CSI
for using nonzas. On the other hand, nonzas were introduced in 0198 as a
kind of meta-element that is required to count actual elements without
interfering with them, and now CSI ended up (ab)using them as well.

If I were going to redesign everything in XMPP, I'd probably
differentiate between "stanzas" (routable elements), "nonzas" (non-
routed elements between the user's client and their server; these
could also be used for other XEPs like Carbons to avoid devs' security
sloppyness), and "SM nonzas" which are the only ones explicitly excempt
from XEP-0198 counters.

Georg