On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
> I'd be interested in Sam's counter-arguments, mind.

- Discoverability: if <private/> or <no-copy/> or whatever is only
used from carbons, why do I have to click through to a different long
XEP to find the one hint that I care about while I'm implementing
carbons?
- Editing: In future, how do we define new hints if this becomes
final? Add them to a final document? A registry? If a registry is
created, can it have normative language if new hints need it? A hints2
document?

In general, these are just simple enough, small enough, and necessary
enough that I think they should be defined in carbons or MAM or
wherever. I vaguely agree that it could be nice to re-use
<no-archive/> between XEPs, but I don't think it's an actual problem
except between MAM and Message Archiving (and as far as I'm concerned
we need to deprecate Message Arhciving and stop confusing people when
the community recommendation is MAM, so that's a no-issue for me).

—Sam