Hi,

I also tripped over this today although in a slightly different
context. And my issues are more about publish-options from XEP-0060 in
general rather than XEP-0223 in particular.

My interpretation is as follows.

- publish-options can contain arbitrary form fields.
- If a certain form field is registered with the registry [1] all
server implementations MUST behave according to the specification in
[1].
- The description in [1] "Forms enabling publication with options;
each field must specify whether it defines METADATA to be attached to
the item, a per-item OVERRIDE of the node configuration, or a
PRECONDITION to be checked against the node configuration." is a hint
to other people who might want to register more form fields and NOT a
hint that should ever be displayed to the end user.
- Currently only "pubsub#access_model" is defined with the registrar.
So when the server supports publish-options and I set a publish option
of access_model=whitelist it is guaranteed that all servers will
reject the publication if the access_model is not whitelist
- The behavior of setting a publish-option of persist-items as we can
see in the examples of XEP-0223 is completely unspecified because it
hasn't been registered.

Is this interpretation correct?

cheers
Daniel