Hi,

I'm not advocating to keep this XEP, but I think it should be deprecated
or obsoleted for the right reasons (even if it is a non-normative, simple
XEP as this one).

On 29 May 2017 at 16:49, Daniel Gultsch <dan...@gultsch.de> wrote:

> Obsolete even due to the security implications the Security
> Considerations fail to mention.

Missing documentation on security implications don't make a XEP obsolete in
itself I think, but means the XEP needs to be updated.

> Of those, 2. is the biggest problem, at least some implementations will
> > happily send a plain-text version of their logs to any other resource
> > requesting it.

This sounds like a problem with the implementation (most likely because
of missing documentation of the implications in the XEP). Other
implementations
just forward the stanza as it came in (with a different envelope).

> (especially 3. depending on what gets exposed),

The undocumented security consideration of this XEP was
"Don't do anything a server can't do anyway". I think this still holds
for all the cases (unless it's badly implemented), except indeed
for Case 3.

All the XEPs mentioned indeed solve many of these use cases in a
much more elegant way. This is why the XEP was written as an ad-hoc
protocol. That said, none of the XEPs mentioned are in Draft, so
technically,
it hasn't been superseded yet either.

Remko