You're making sense to me (which appears to be a habit of yours *hattip*).

Dave's original question was if he should propose a policy change to the
Board. Although Dave certainly has a keen perspective of things, I think he
falls in the "engineer" category, more than in the "legal counsel"
category. Apologies to Dave if I sell him short here. Perhaps it'd be good
to take one step back, and propose that the Board finds legal advise on the
subject. We could look at larger standards development organizations, as
Peter suggested. Another option would be to reserve a certain amount of
money and seek legal counsel of our own. Also, some of our larger sponsors
might have inhouse legal departments. Perhaps they could help out.