On 9 June 2017 at 08:49, Guus der Kinderen <guus.der.kinde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're making sense to me (which appears to be a habit of yours *hattip*).
>
> Dave's original question was if he should propose a policy change to the
> Board. Although Dave certainly has a keen perspective of things, I think he
> falls in the "engineer" category, more than in the "legal counsel" category.
> Apologies to Dave if I sell him short here. Perhaps it'd be good to take one
> step back, and propose that the Board finds legal advise on the subject. We
> could look at larger standards development organizations, as Peter
> suggested. Another option would be to reserve a certain amount of money and
> seek legal counsel of our own. Also, some of our larger sponsors might have
> inhouse legal departments. Perhaps they could help out.

I am, indeed, not any kind of lawyer.

However, I don't think this is particularly contentious. We have lots
of documents for which one of the "Authors" hasn't made any input for
several revisions. I see three cases for moving Authors to a "Previous
Authors" section:

a) This legal issue, which might expose authors and their employers.
By clearly marking that an author is not current, it should address
the concerns of (for example) Cisco's legal department.
b) The case where an Author discovers their name still against a XEP
and is concerned that the XEP misrepresents their views. I believe we
have had such cases, and although obviously Authors can already
request their removal in entirety, this also removes all
acknowledgement for previous hard work.
c) The case where Authors are simply unresponsive to concrete
proposals and stall the standards process. While Council can again
remove an Author entirely, this often seems like a nuclear option - as
if Council is punishing, rather than simply moving things along.

I see, on the other hand, no advantage to *not* having a Previous
Authors section which properly acknowledges those who have put
considerable effort into the document. I'm also happy to list these at
the top of the document, maybe just like:

Authors: Peter Saint-Andre, Dave Cridland (Previous)

Dave.