On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Ignat Gavrilov
<ignat.gavri...@mailfence.com> wrote:
> We might release some of our non-libsignal-based development later this year
> as open-source, but I bet it will be GPL licensed and not under one of those
> "make money with third-party software and run away with it"-licenses that are
> so much liked by some of the people (representing their companies interest)
> here.

For what it's worth, I was arguing mostly for doing Andy's proposal
(which uses libsignal which is GPLed), however, I see the fact that
there are only GPL implementations of X3DHE as the main problem with
that proposal, I will not use GPLed software, however I do not
currently work for a company who's "interests" I could represent, nor
does the job I have lined up have anything to do with XMPP, or instant
messaging, so I don't think people wanting a liberally licensed
implementation are necessarily arguing "company interests" and we
should probably avoid going down that path.

A liberally licensed implementation may benefit companies as well as
individuals. It is simply making things easier to adopt. Some existing
non-GPL projects may not be able to use GPLed libraries, but all GPLed
software can use MIT licensed (or similar) libraries. It's about
making sure the most people (whether you agree with their restrictions
or not) can use the library.

—Sam