OK. Let's move on then.

It seems like people are mostly fine with The Compromise™. Council
will vote on publishing my PR as OMEMO version 0.3 next week. And I
currently have no reason to expect that it will get vetoed.

Afterwards we need to decide on a new author for the XEP to drive the
change towards OMEMO-NEXT. That's a pretty big responsibility if we
don't want OMEMO to go down the same road as its predecessors.

Questions for OMEMO-NEXT for the new author to collect feedback on.
(Each of them deserves it's own thread)

- Do we want to break up the wire format into XML. (Both Olm and
Signalprotocol are using some binary encoding format that either is
protobuf or tries to be)
- Do we want to continue using XedDSA or do we want to use two
separate keys for signing and encrypting (Those are the two sane
alternatives I guess)
- Do we want to move all devices into separate items of one node. Do
we keep the index-node/meta node to reduce traffic. Is there a better
way in Pubsub?
- Do we want to have stanza-content encryption and if so how do we do it?
-- Shower thought I just had on stanza-content encryption; What if we
allow stanza-content encryption only for messages and then define a
second XEP that does OMEMO-based e2e-streams (maybe reusing semantics
from previous XEPs) to do IQ communication. That way normal messages
will still land in MAM and can be handled by carbons and so forth but
we don't have the overhead of having to encrypt each and every stanza
individually if we want to do a lengthier IQ-based exchange. The
e2e-stream/IQ-transport thingy could thus be optional for clients that
like to do IQ-based things. But I figure normal IM-clients will rarely
do IQ stuff anyway these days (with each other)

Please if you want to respond to any of these questions do so in
separate threads or else things will get really cluttered here. And
you might want to wait for the new author to get picked otherwise no
one will feel responsible to collect your feedback.

cheers
Daniel