Hi everyone,

Based on the previous messages I'd like to do a proposal regarding the
evolution of HTTP Upload.

The idea behind HTTP-Upload was to have this tiny-simple XEP that can handle
upload of files through HTTP and return an URL that can be
inserted everywhere in XMPP.

It seems that people, like Daniel, are reaching the limits of those features
and want to extend the XEP.

What I'd like to propose, is to re-use Pubsub/PEP to handle and manage those
files.

Basically once a file is uploaded using HTTP-Upload, the server creates a new
item on a designated PEP node (urn:xmpp:files:0 for
example) and notify the publisher using a simple headline.

This PEP node will list all the previously uploaded files, the items could
contain all the metadata (using something like XEP-0385:
Stateless Inline Media Sharing (SIMS) for example).

This way, at any moment, the user can see what files are stored on the server
and can easily manage/delete them. A hard-limit can also
be put on the number of those items to only keep the latest 100 files uploaded
(for example).

All those mechanism are relying on existing XEPs and will require only a small
adaptation on the servers and clients to handle that.

I'm open to any proposal but I'd strongly prefer to re-use and push existing
standards and defined XML namespaces than creating
something from scratch for our needs.

Regards,

Timothée Jaussoin