On 12 September 2017 at 12:47, Guus der Kinderen
<guus.der.kinde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not all blocking comes from SPAM reports. XEP-0191 isn't duplicated by
> creating a SPAM report, as it also allows you to block entities for any
> other reason (annoying automated messages, in-laws, etc).

I agree, not all blocking comes from spam reports. I didn't mean to
imply that it did, quite the opposite. But all spam reports are
blocking. And we already have a protocol for blocking.

> As for delivery: at the very least, you can do the same as what the current
> XEP tells you to do: report it to the server that manages your blocklist.
> Furthermore, you *can* report it to any entity that reports the capability.
> Maybe I'm missing the point that you're trying to make here?

Yes, sorry, I could have been clearer here. My intention is to say
that I think reports should go to the user's home server for many
reasons. I don't think attempts to do otherwise would be successful.

> As for modern/popular UIs. These were the first three I had open (yes, I
> should get back to work, I know):
>
> GMail gives me a button for spam reporting, but a distinct (and more
> elaborate) "Filters and Blocked Addresses" settings panel.
> Facebook gives two distinct options: "Block" and "Report"
> Twitter gives me three distinct options: "Mute", "Block" and "Report"

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that having multiple buttons in the UI is
wrong. More like, the action is tied as far as UX goes:

  - Gmail: spam report button removes the message from inbox, and
feeds back into Gmail's spam filter
  - Facebook: Reporting also blocks
  - Twitter: Reporting also blocks (mute would likely be a client-side
feature in XMPP, at least at this stage)

> I'm all for a single report-spam-and-dont-get-any-from-that-jid-anymore, but
> I don't feel that we should require this to be built on XEP-0191.

So, a new blocking protocol that is used sometimes? Two block lists?
Or do we need to define some (complex) interaction between the two
blocking protocols? Actually make that three, because most people are
still attempting to seamlessly support XEP-0016 as well.

Regards,
Matthew