Hi,

> Title: Styling
>
> Abstract:
>
>> This specification defines a plain-text formatting syntax for use in
>> exchanging instant messages with simple text styling.

thank you for writing that XEP.

I have just one remark. I'd get rid of the "Inline styling directives
may also be doubled to allow the single character version of the
directive to be styled." rule.

First of all trying to create some kind of 'escaping' is a battle you
can't win. What if I want to put two * in there?
More importantly **some*t*thing** is no longer human readable. Or I
wouldn't really know what to make of this.

The interesting aspect of Message Styling is that these are things
people would more or less naturally type even if there wouldn't be any
styling at all. But the double **some*t*hing** isn't.

I also looked at other system (WhatsApp, Slack) and neither of them
have something to escape the keywords.

cheers
Daniel

P.S.: The current beta version of Conversations has something like
this implemented (minus the doubling, minus the code blocks (I'm not
against code blocks though)